Saturday, June 8, 2013

Optimum Organization

Today, I am linking up with Kristen from Ladybug's Teacher Files for her Optimum Organization Linky Party!

This could not have come at a better time because I had to move rooms this summer already. I honestly did not think I had that much STUFF! I was told to put it into boxes and the custodial staff would move it over the summer. Well, I decided to take things into my own hands since I was moving to the room diagonal from the one I was in. So, a friend of mine, who also happened to be in my new room (also moving 20 feet down the hall) decided to help me, and I am SO glad she did! She has an amazingly organized and clutter-free classroom. When we got all my stuff laid out, we were both in shock. It wasn't as nearly as much as some other teachers have, but it was quite a bit. She started organizing and throwing things out. Now, my cabinets are pretty and I can easily find what I need. Here are some things she taught me:

  • Categorize!
    • The first thing she did was make piles around the room in categories such as manipulatives, arts and crafts, recess toys, etc.
  • Part with it!
    • As she was categorizing, she continuously asked me if I had used it in the last year...
      • Yes - Keep it!
      • No - Is it usable?
        • Yes - Donate it!
        • No - Toss it!
      • If I hadn't used it in the last year, but it was sentimental, it went into the memory box.
  • Label it!
  • Don't fret about unused storage!
    • We have a LOT of storage in our classrooms. The reason I didn't think I had much STUFF is because I didn't use all of my storage. Well now, I have almost a full cabinet empty! Someday, I will have to post pictures. This Organizational Angel told me again and again that empty shelves weren't bad... and now I believe her :)
I also got rid of all my secondary materials finally. If I ever do go back to the upper grades, I will get materials from my team as I go.

I hope these tips help you as much as they did me! I was so overwhelmed at first, but thanks to her, I got through it and I am SO happy with how my cabinets are. I can barely wait to set up my new room for a whole new group of smart cookies!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Such wonderful advice! Thanks for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great Sarah!!! Maybe an organization angel can help me when we head back to school to fix my cabinets ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your partner in 'crime' was in there helping out a TON, too! She said she was going to help you!

      Delete
  3. This is exactly what I need to do once summer school is done using my classroom and the custodians are done cleaning my classroom...

    Mrs. Jones Teaches :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, girl! It certainly is refreshing!

      Delete